Scotch eggs are a perfect breakfast for a picnic, although they also work well as meal prep for the week. Hot air helps get the outside super crispy.
PREP TIME 10 mins
COOK TIME 25 mins
MAKES 5 eggs
SERVING SIZE 1 egg
5 large eggs
1lb (450g) ground sausage
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried basil
¼ cup coconut flour
½ cup pork panko breadcrumbs (or ground pork rinds)
1. Set the air fryer temp to 260°F (130°C).
2. Place the whole eggs in the fryer basket and cook for 13 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a large bowl of cold water to cool. Remove the eggs from the water and discard the shells. Set the eggs aside.
3. Raise the air fryer temp to 350°F (175°C).
4. In a large bowl, combine the sausage, salt, pepper, and basil. Divide the mixture into 5 equally sized balls. Flatten each ball as much as possible with your hands. Place 1 hard-boiled egg on each sausage patty and wrap each egg completely with the sausage.
5. In a medium bowl, combine the coconut flour and pork panko breadcrumbs. Roll each covered egg in the mixture.
6. Place the eggs in the fryer basket and cook until the outsides are crispy and the meat has been cooked through, about 12 minutes, flipping the eggs halfway through the cooking.
7. Transfer the eggs to a platter and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Tips If your local grocery store doesn’t have pork panko breadcrumbs, place 1 cup of cooked pork crackling or pork rinds into a food processor and pulse 4 or 5 times. Store the cooked eggs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
NUTRITION PER 1 EGG:
25g TOTAL FAT
6g NET CARBS
1g DIETARY FIBER