Meatballs often contain wheat breadcrumbs. But you can use just an egg and fragrant herbs to make awesome, easy meatballs while still staying keto.
PREP TIME 5 mins
COOK TIME 25 mins
MAKES 12 meatballs
SERVING SIZE 3 meatballs + ⅛ cup sauce
1lb (450g) ground beef (80% lean)
1 large egg
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1½ tsp dried oregano, divided
⅔ cup passata sauce (seedless tomato purée)
¼ cup heavy whipping cream, plus more
2 tbsp red wine
½ tsp dried parsley
½ tsp dried basil
fresh basil leaves (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon of dried oregano. Mix well. Use a tablespoon to make 12 round meatballs. Place the meatballs on a plate, cover, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
2. Set the air fryer temp to 350°F (175°C).
3. In a medium bowl, combine the passata sauce, whipping cream, red wine, parsley, basil, and the remaining ½ teaspoon of oregano.
4. Place the meatballs evenly around the bottom of a high-sided 8.5-inch (22cm) baking pan. Pour the passata mixture over the top.
5. Place the pan in the fryer basket and cook until the meatballs are dark brown on the outside and firm, about 25 minutes.
6. Transfer the meatballs to a platter. Drizzle more whipping cream and sprinkle fresh basil (if using) over the top. Serve immediately.
Tips Instead of using the multiple different dried herbs, you can easily substitute an Italian herb blend if your local grocery store has one. You can also omit the red wine without much change in flavor. Store the cooked meatballs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
NUTRITION PER 3 MEATBALLS + ⅛ CUP SAUCE:
24g TOTAL FAT
3g NET CARBS
1g DIETARY FIBER