Onion rings are a classic deep-fried snack. This recipe turns them low-carb by using a few key ingredients and makes them more healthy by using an air fryer.
PREP TIME 5 mins
COOK TIME 4 mins
MAKES 8 rings
SERVING SIZE 8 rings
1 large egg
1oz (30g) unflavored whey protein powder
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried parsley
½ large white onion, sliced into 8 rings
1. Set the air fryer temp to 350°F (175°C). Spray the fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the egg. In a separate small bowl, combine the protein powder, salt, pepper, and parsley.
3. Dip each onion ring in the egg and then in the protein powder mixture to coat the outside.
4. Place the onion rings in the fryer basket and ensure ample room for air to circulate around the edges. Cook for 4 minutes or until the onion rings reach your desired level of crispiness.
5. Transfer the onion rings to a platter and serve immediately.
Tips Whey protein powder is essential to getting a dry, crispy exterior to these onion rings. Unflavored whey protein can be purchased from your local health food store or online in bulk. Whey protein isolate is lowest in carbs. Store the cooked rings in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. I wouldn’t recommend freezing the cooked rings, but you can store the uncooked rings in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
NUTRITION PER 8 RINGS:
6g TOTAL FAT
5g NET CARBS
1g DIETARY FIBER