Bacon, red bell pepper, and onion enhance the flavor of this traditional casserole dish, replacing potatoes with cauliflower rice for a healthy, low-carb breakfast.
PREP TIME 10 mins
COOK TIME 30 mins
MAKES 1 casserole
SERVING SIZE ¼ casserole
6 slices of bacon (3oz [90g]), diced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
¼ red onion, diced
½ red bell pepper, cubed
4 large eggs
1 cup frozen cauliflower rice
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese, divided
1. Set the air fryer temp to 400°F (200°C).
2. Place the bacon, mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper in a high-sided 8- to 9-inch (20 to 23cm) round baking dish.
3. Place the dish in the fryer basket and cook until the bacon becomes crispy and the mushrooms are wilted, about 5 minutes, stirring the mixture halfway through. Remove the dish from the fryer basket and set aside.
4. Lower the air fryer temp to 350°F (175°C).
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs until well combined. Add the cauliflower rice, ½ cup of Cheddar cheese, bacon, mushrooms, onion, and pepper. Mix well. Place the mixture in the same baking dish as before and cover with the remaining ½ cup of Cheddar cheese.
6. Place the dish in the fryer basket and cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a skewer into the middle. If the skewer comes out clean, the casserole is done.
7. Remove the dish from the fryer basket and allow the casserole to cool. Divide into 4 portions before serving.
Tips Use an aluminum foil sling to place the dish in the fryer basket. Store the cooked casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
NUTRITION PER ¼ CASSEROLE:
23g TOTAL FAT
4g NET CARBS
1g DIETARY FIBER