The best advantage of using an air fryer to cook pork belly is that it keeps the inside juicy while crisping the outer skin for crackling you’ve always dreamed of.
PREP TIME 10 mins
COOK TIME 70 mins
MAKES 3 cups pork belly
SERVING SIZE ½ cup pork belly
1lb (450g) pork belly
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
1 tsp plus 3 tbsp sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
5 garlic cloves, peeled
1. In a large pot on the stovetop over medium heat, place the pork belly and cover with hot water. Bring to a steady boil for 25 minutes.
2. Remove the pork from the hot water and pat dry with paper towels. Place the pork skin side up on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Cover the bottom and sides with the foil, leaving the top skin exposed. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to dry out the skin.
3. Set the air fryer temp to 400°F (200°C).
4. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, Chinese five-spice powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, and pepper.
5. Remove the foil from the pork. Use a pastry brush or sprigs of herbs to brush the underside of the pork with the spice powder mixture. Don’t brush the top.
6. Use a knife to make 5 small slashes on the underside and stuff each cut with a garlic clove. Return the pork to the aluminum foil, again leaving the top skin exposed.
7. Place the pork in the fryer basket and cover with the remaining 3 tablespoons of salt. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C), about 40 minutes, checking every 15 minutes to ensure the top is starting to crackle.
8. Transfer the pork to a platter and remove the salt from the top. Cut the pork into bite-sized chunks. Serve immediately with your favorite sides.
Tips Store the cooked pork belly in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
NUTRITION PER ½ CUP PORK BELLY:
42g TOTAL FAT
0g NET CARBS
0g DIETARY FIBER