with Garlic & Fennel
Garlic and fennel are a time-tested match with roasted pork. The sweetness of fennel paired with the zest from garlic will make your mouth water.
PREP TIME 10 mins
COOK TIME 60 mins
MAKES 2lb (900g)
SERVING SIZE 5oz (140g) with crackling
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp plus 1 tbsp sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
2lb (900g) boneless pork shoulder
1. Set the air fryer temp to 350°F (175°C).
2. Use a mortar and pestle to grind together the fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon of salt, and pepper. Use the salt to break up the fennel seeds until a fine paste forms. Add the garlic and continue to grind. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and mix with a spoon. Set aside.
3. Use a sharp knife to score the pork skin in a crosshatched pattern every ½ inch (1.25cm). Use paper towels to dry the skin as much as possible. Brush the underside of the pork with the fennel and garlic seasoning, but don’t brush the skin.
4. Turn the pork back over so the skin side faces upward. Rub the skin with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the remaining 1 tablespoon of salt.
5. Place the pork in the fryer basket and roast until the internal temperature reaches 170°F (80°C), about 50 minutes.
6. Raise the air fryer temp to 400°F (200°C). Cook the roast until the skin crisps up completely, about 10 minutes more.
7. Transfer the pork to a platter and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Slice into 1-inch (2.5cm) slices before serving.
Tips Check the pork every 10 to 15 minutes to ensure the top is starting to crackle. Store the roasted pork in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
NUTRITION PER 5oz (140g):
28g TOTAL FAT
0g NET CARBS
1g DIETARY FIBER