Nothing is more comforting than mac and cheese. This low-carb version uses cauliflower and includes bacon and a hint of Dijon mustard.
PREP TIME 10 mins
COOK TIME 25 mins
MAKES 6 cups
SERVING SIZE 1½ cups
4 slices of bacon
1 medium head of cauliflower
1 tbsp olive oil
6oz (170g) cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1½ cups grated Colby cheese, divided
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1. Set the air fryer temp to 360°F (180°C).
2. Place the bacon in the fryer basket and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon from the fryer basket. Dice the bacon and set aside.
3. Lower the air fryer temp to 320°F (160°C).
4. Cut the cauliflower into florets and then cut the florets in half. Place the florets and olive oil in a large bowl. Mix well to coat. Place the florets on a baking pan.
5. Place the pan in the fryer basket and cook until tender, about 13 minutes.
6. Place the cream cheese in a large bowl. Use a hand mixer to add the whipping cream a little at a time. Mix well. Add the Dijon mustard and 1 cup of Colby. Mix again.
7. Raise the air fryer temp to 360°F (180°C).
8. Pour the cheese mixture over the cooked cauliflower and cover with the remaining ½ cup of Colby. Cook until warm all the way through, about 5 minutes more.
9. Remove the pan from the fryer basket and sprinkle the bacon over the top. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Tips Garnish with green herbs or crunchy pistachio nuts for additional texture. Store the cooked mac and cheese in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
NUTRITION PER 1½ CUPS:
60g TOTAL FAT
8g NET CARBS
3g DIETARY FIBER